IEP vs 504 Plan (Difference between Individualized Education Plan and 504 Plan)

Difference between Individualized Education Plan and 504 Plan (IEP vs 504 Plan)

The main difference between an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and a 504 Plan is that an IEP provides specialised instruction and services, while a 504 Plan provides accommodations and modifications to enable equal access to education.

The IEP vs 504 Plans are the two most common plans for accommodating students with disabilities in the United States.

IEPs and 504 plans are both intended to help students succeed in school, but they differ in several ways. In this article, we will explore the key differences between the two.

IEP vs 504 Plan (The Difference between Individualized Education Plan and 504 Plan)


Education is a fundamental right for all children, regardless of their abilities or disabilities. However, not all students learn the same way, and some need special accommodations to help them succeed academically.

What is an IEP?

An IEP is a legally binding document that outlines a student’s specific learning needs, goals, and objectives. This plan is developed by a team of professionals, including the student’s parents, teachers, and other school personnel, including a school psychologist or special education teacher.

Students can access their education and achieve their academic goals with a customized plan designed to meet their individual needs.

It is typically reserved for students with severe disabilities or learning difficulties, such as autism, intellectual disabilities, or other conditions that require specialized instruction or support.

In order to be successful in school, the IEP must include specific accommodations, modifications, and services that the student requires. The IEP process involves a comprehensive evaluation of the student’s needs and abilities.

What is a 504 Plan?

Although 504 plans are legally binding, they are less comprehensive than IEPs. Accommodations and support services are provided to students with disabilities that interfere with their ability to learn but do not require specialized instruction.

A 504 plan derives its name from Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in all programs or activities financed by the federal government.

An individual’s 504 plan is developed by a team of professionals, including the student’s parents, teachers, and other educators.

As part of the plan, the student outlines accommodations and support services that they need in order to access their education, such as preferential seating, extra time on tests, or assistive technology.

Key Difference between Individualized Education Plan and 504 Plan

While both IEPs and 504 plans are designed to help students with disabilities access their education, there are several key differences between the two:

  1. Eligibility Criteria

IEPs are designed for students who have disabilities that meet the criteria outlined in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). A disability must severely impact the student’s ability to learn and require specialized instruction.

An individual with a disability that substantially limits a major life activity, such as learning, walking, or seeing, will qualify for a 504 plan.

  1. Evaluation Process

To develop an IEP, a student must undergo a comprehensive evaluation that includes testing and assessments in all areas related to the disability. The evaluation is conducted by a team of professionals, including a school psychologist or special education teacher.

To develop a 504 plan, the student must undergo an evaluation that determines whether the student has a disability that impacts a major life activity.

  1. Plan Components

A student’s IEP includes specific goals, objectives, accommodations, modifications, and services that enable him or her to access their education.

IEPs are reviewed and updated annually by the IEP team. A 504 plan is less comprehensive and typically includes only accommodations and support services that the student requires to succeed in school.

  1. Legal Protections

Despite the fact that IEPs and 504 plans are both legally binding documents, IEPs provide greater legal protection for students.

IEPs, for example, include procedural safeguards that protect the rights of the student and require the school to follow certain procedures when making decisions about the student’s education.

A parent’s right to dispute decisions made by the school and to request mediation or due process hearings is also included in the IEP.

  1. Services and Support

A student’s IEP offers specialized instruction and support services, such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, or behavioral interventions.

As an alternative, a 504 plan usually provides accommodations and support services, such as extra time on tests, preferential seating, or the use of assistive technology, for students.

IEP vs 504 Plan

AspectIndividualized Education Plan (IEP)504 Plan
EligibilityStudents with qualifying disabilitiesStudents with disabilities that impact a major life activity
ProcessComprehensive evaluation by a team of professionalsEvaluation and review by a group of school staff
ScopeProvides specialized instruction and support servicesProvides accommodations and support services
GoalsSpecific measurable academic goalsAccess to educational environment and participation in activities
TimelineMust be reviewed and updated annuallyReviewed every three years or as needed
RightsLegal document with due process protectionsNo legal document, but protects against discrimination
The Difference between Individualized Education Plan and 504 Plan (IEP vs 504 Plan)

Which Plan is Right for Your Child? IEP vs 504 Plan?

Your child’s school and healthcare provider should work closely with you to determine which plan is most appropriate for their needs. Determining whether your child needs an IEP or 504 plan can be a challenging decision.

Your child may benefit from an IEP if they have a disability that significantly impacts their learning ability and require specialized instruction. It may be more appropriate to use a 504 plan if your child has a disability that impacts their ability to learn but does not require specialized instruction.

In both plans, the goal is to provide your child with the support and services they need to access their education and succeed academically. Both plans are designed to be flexible as your child’s needs change over time.

Which plan is more appropriate for my child with ADHD? IEP or 504 Plan?

An IEP and 504 Plan can provide accommodations and support to students who have ADHD, but an IEP generally provides specialized services and assistance.

A 504 Plan provides accommodations to help students with ADHD access the classroom and learn more effectively, whereas an IEP includes individualized instruction, counseling, and behavioral interventions.

A 504 Plan accommodation may include preferential seating, extra time for assignments and tests, and the ability to take breaks as needed for students with ADHD.

In order to determine which plan is most appropriate for a child with ADHD, parents should consult with the school’s special education team and healthcare providers. An evaluation can be conducted to determine the child’s needs and eligibility for services under either plan.

Despite a 504 Plan being sufficient for some ADHD students, others may need more comprehensive services offered by an IEP.

Can students with physical disabilities receive an IEP or 504 Plan?

Students with physical disabilities can receive either an IPE or 504 Plan. The plan that is appropriate for the student will depend on their individual needs. IEPs are typically recommended for students who have more significant disabilities, as they provide more comprehensive services and support.

A number of these services may be provided, including specialized instruction, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. A student’s IEP is created through a collaborative process between the student’s parents, teachers, and other experts.

For students with less severe physical disabilities who do not require the same level of specialized services, a 504 Plan may be more appropriate. In order to ensure equal access to education, 504 Plans provide accommodations and modifications.

The accommodations under a 504 Plan for students with physical disabilities may include preferential seating, assistive technology, and modified physical education requirements.

How are discipline and behavior issues addressed under an IEP or a 504 Plan?

Discipline and behavior issues for students with disabilities are addressed differently under an IEP and 504 Plan.

Both plans provide protection for students with disabilities against discrimination and ensure that students have access to an appropriate education, but the approaches to discipline and behavior management differ.

Under an IEP, if a student’s disability affects their behavior, the IEP team must develop a Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP) to address the behavior. The BIP outlines strategies and supports to help the student manage their behavior and achieve their educational goals.

If a student’s behavior violates the school’s code of conduct, the school must follow the procedures outlined in the student’s IEP, which may include additional support or accommodations.

Under a 504 Plan, the school may provide accommodations or support for the student’s behavior but is not required to develop a BIP. If a student’s behavior violates the school’s code of conduct, the school must follow the same disciplinary procedures as for students without disabilities.

However, the school must consider the student’s disability and whether it contributed to the behavior when determining disciplinary action.

It is important to communicate with the school and stay involved in the process to ensure that any behavioral issues are addressed appropriately and that the student’s education remains effective.

Can my child’s IEP or 504 Plan be modified during the school year?

During the school year, you can modify your child’s IEP or 504 Plan if necessary. The IEP or 504 Plan is a living document that should be reviewed and updated regularly to ensure that it reflects your child’s current needs and progress.

You can request a meeting with the school team to discuss modifications if your child’s needs change or the current accommodations or services don’t work.

The process for modifying the plan will vary depending on the specific circumstances and the type of plan. An IEP usually involves a meeting with parents, teachers, and any specialists involved in the student’s education.

In light of the student’s progress and needs, the team will examine the current plan and determine if any modifications are necessary.

In the case of a 504 Plan, the process may involve a review by the school’s disability services coordinator or other designated contact. After evaluating the student’s needs and progress, the coordinator will determine whether any changes are needed.

Keeping in touch with the school team and staying involved in the process will ensure your child’s needs are met and their education remains effective.

Can my child’s IEP or 504 Plan be transferred to a new school?

It is possible to transfer your child’s IEP or 504 Plan to a new school. It is important to inform the school of your child’s existing plan and provide a copy of it when enrolling your child in a new school.

Based on the student’s current needs and the resources available at the new school, the new school will determine whether the plan needs to be updated or modified. Having the plan transferred ensures that your child will continue to receive the necessary accommodations and support.

A meeting may be required to discuss any changes or updates to the plan in some cases. Communication with both old and new schools is essential to ensuring a smooth transition and providing any necessary information.

Your child’s healthcare providers may have valuable input about the transition and any adjustments to the plan, so it is helpful to discuss the transfer process with them.

Despite the fact that the plan can be transferred, the new school may have different policies and resources, which may affect its implementation.

To ensure that your child receives the necessary support and accommodations in their new school environment, it is imperative that you monitor their progress and advocate for their needs.

Do private schools provide IEPs or 504 Plans?

Under federal law, private schools are not required to provide IEPs or 504 Plans, but they may provide their own versions of accommodations and support to disabled students.

As part of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), private schools must provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to education opportunities, which prohibits discrimination based on disability.

It should be noted, however, that the ADA does not require private schools to provide the same level of services and accommodations as public schools under an IEP or 504 Plan.

Through the school’s disability services office or designated point of contact, parents of students with disabilities may request accommodations and support from the school.

Depending on the school’s policies and resources, accommodations may also be evaluated and assessed to determine eligibility and appropriate accommodations.

It is important to note that the process and availability of accommodations may vary depending on the individual private school’s policies and resources.

To ensure that their child receives the necessary support and accommodations, parents may seek services outside of the private school, such as through public schools or private service providers.

Conclusion: IEP vs 504 Plan

In conclusion, an IEP and 504 plan are both valuable tools for ensuring that students with disabilities receive the support and accommodations they need to succeed in school.

Both plans provide students with the tools needed to achieve their full potential, regardless of their differences in eligibility criteria, evaluation process, and plan.

You can determine the best academic support plan and services for your child by working closely with their school and healthcare providers.


  1. Candace Cortiella, National Center for Learning Disabilities, “No Child Left Behind: Determining Appropriate Assessment Accommodations for Students with Disabilities“. 
  2. Jane Hauser, “IEP or 504: What Do They Mean and How Can They Apply to My Child?“.
  3. Kaitlyn McGlynn and Janey Kelly, Science Scope, “Adaptations, modifications, and accommodations“. 

Read more articles

Difference between Intellectual Disability and Learning Disability

Functional Behavior Assessment vs Behavioral Intervention Plan (FBA vs BIP): What’s the Difference?
Difference between Primary Data and Secondary Data (Primary vs Secondary Data)

Difference between Palliative Care and Hospice Care (Palliative vs Hospice Care)

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments